Monday, November 17, 2008

Tips on Children & Italian School System

Many parents have asked me to discuss raising children in Italy and especially the school system. I am by no means an expert on the subject but can just write about what I personally have learned. I have to admit that the thought of placing my childen in school in Italy terrifies me largely because I am not familiar with it. I was born and raised in California and have no idea (aside from what my husband tells me) what schools are like here in Italy.

The system is quite different and is changing as I write this post. With new decrees becoming laws, the Italian school system will be facing new challenges. Right now for instance, elementary school children have multiple teachers for multiple courses. They learn English at 6 years old and many students attend school also on Saturday. It just all seems so different than when I was a student in Los Angeles.

What mostly concerns me is the quality. I have heard good and bad about this so cannot give a judgement. It depends of course on many factors: the school, the child, parents' involvement, the teachers, the materials, the environment, the school system etc. etc.

The single most important piece of advice I can give parents is to get informed and get involved. I found that once I got to know the teachers, the environment, many of my fears vanished. Now I make a point to try to be as involved as possible. When I can, I join parents' committees, take part in meetings or even donate my time in teaching English when I can to both teachers and students. Any involvement is highly appreciated by the school and teachers and I can become acquainted myself with them.

I see many parents who will be making the move to Italy on forums asking for advice, suggestions, feedback. This is great and an invaluable tool. Get to know what it is all about. Information is power. The more information you have, the more you will feel comfortable with your childen attending school in Italy.

Once your children are in school in Italy, do not stop speaking with them in their native language. This is important as you, the parent, in many cases will be the only person giving the child that second language.

I will keep blogging on this subject and pass on to you what I am learning here in Italy.

No comments: