Saturday, November 29, 2008

Find a Happy Place - in Italy

First of all I apologize for being absent for a few days but I have been having some problems with the internet and I will leave it at that. I have been thinking of all of my readers out there, whoever you are and this post is for you!

It has taken me awhile to find my happy place in Italy and I guess I just about stumbled upon it only recently realizing that it is my happy place. I will explain.
There is a particular road that descends, twisting and turning from near my home all the way down to the lake of Chiusi. It may be nothing special to someone else, but to me it has become my happy place. I drive down that road to think, when I am happy, when I am sad, when I want to be alone, when I want to relax, when I want to hide, when I want to rejoice. It is my happy place. Let me describe it to you:

It is an asfalted road. Right now it is aligned with trees that are still not completely bare. Leaves of orange, red, yellow and every tonality of these adorn these trees. There are as many leaves on the side of the road as on the trees. There are some homes here and there and some also somewhat hidden. Most of these homes are farmhouses, both restored and not restored.

The soft hills you can see from the road are full of olive groves and fruit trees. Sometimes there will be a farmer working the land. This road hardly ever has any cars but maybe a tractor once in awhile. Going further down the descent on the right side are some Etruscan tombs that are almost always closed so there are no tourists even around. There is one small turnaround with a wooden fence that I know well. It is where me and my husband go when we fight and when we want to talk.

At the end of the descent is the house of our gardner. I know it quite well as I study his beautiful landscaping and then quickly call him to ask if I too can get that flower or tree. Fabio will always respond "ok ok but not now since this is the busy time of year" or "ok ok but not now since it is not the time to plant." My pleas though will always get him to my home!

This happy place has become my happy place for two fabulous reasons. I used to walk it accompanied by my parents visiting from the USA when I was pregnant with my first child. Beautiful memories. Now I drive it to put my second child to sleep. It works like a charm. He must know it is mommy's happy place. As soon as we finish the descent, see Fabio's (the gardner's) house, my son is fast asleep like an angel.

Oh I won't tell you the name of this road as it is MY happy place. You are just going to have to find your own!!

No comments: