Wednesday, November 5, 2008

American Patriotism is Alive in Italy

It is special to know that when you live abroad like I do, something fabulous happens with regard to how you feel about your native country. Although I live in Italy, am Italian American, my husband is Italian and I definitely have always had a strong Italian background growing up, I feel and believe my home is America. I have talked to many expats who feel the same no matter where they come from. It is not that I don't like Italy. I obviously would not be here if I did not! It is that being away from home makes you appreciate it all so much more.

With the recent presidential election between Obama and McCain, I have felt more and more wanting to be in the United States. I am so proud to see how many voters showed up in line to vote yesterday. I too voted absentee and am proud in doing so. The backbone of America is based on its people and it is sometimes difficult to explain to others who are not American that we Americans really believe in the American dream. We tell our children when they are young that they can aspire to be whatever they choose to be and with hard work they can succeed. This just is not understood in other countries mainly because it does not exist.

I taught English briefly at a middle school here in Chiusi. I remember telling the teenagers that learning English is important for their future. A boy raised his hand and stood up and said in Italian to me, "Teacher I do not need to learn English because I will never leave this town or do anything." I thought to myself who put that idea in his head? Why doesn't he think that he will do something grand as an adult! Why? Mostly because you really have to have the right contacts to do pretty much anything here. I am not bashing Italy but speaking from my heart and my experiences. Sometimes you get lucky and someone sees you actually have skills. It can happen and it did a couple times to me with two jobs I had. But I also had potential employers actually tell me that they could not hire me because they had to hire the nephew or cousin or son or etc of someone else. Yes this goes on also in the United States but I don't think it is so rampant as it is here in Italy.

Could it be a case of "grass is always greener?" Perhaps. I don't know for sure. All I know is that when Italians ask me what is it like being American, my eyes light up and shine. I say the American dream is alive and well and it is a good time to be American.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Forza America!!! For the first time in eight years I am embracing my American citizenship and not hiding behind my Italian citizenship! Today it is almost impossible to express just how much a country like this can surprise you and remind you of its beauty!
I thought of you this morning (and although I still intend on responding to your last comment to me-I have been so busy), I had to drop you a line from the other half of your world. Hope all is well. baci, cristina