Thursday, November 6, 2008

Details about Daycare and Preschool in Italy

I received several requests for more information regarding what daycare and preschools are like in Italy so I thought I would give you some detailed data regarding my first hand experience in Chiusi.


Daycare

My youngest has been going to daycare for about a month now and I am pretty familiar with the premises as I also attended "mommy and me" classes there. The daycare is divided into two sections and each section has a total of 14 children with 3 daycare teachers for each section. One section is for the younger children ranging from 11 months to 2 years old while the second section is for children from 2 years old to 3 years old. The children arrive from 8:30 am and can stay either until lunch time (noon), after lunch (1:30), afternoon (4 pm or 6 pm). The fee is around 350 euros a month if the child stays for lunch and leaves by 1:30 pm. If the child stays all day the fee is around 380 euros. Daycare is from Mondays to Fridays from September to June and sometimes available in July.


The environment at daycare is very clean with appropriate toys and everything (tables,chairs) is sized for the little ones. The day's program is scheduled whereby they play, snack, play outdoors (weather permitting), eat lunch, nap, play. It is very well organized and the children know exactly what to expect as far as routines. There is a mailbox for each child and everyday the teacher writes a note to the parents saying if the child ate, slept, had a bowel movement. At a first sign of sickness the child's parents are immediately called to be taken home.


Although I had my personal doubts about sending my child to daycare, (He has his first daycare flu right now which is not pleasant) I have to say that the daycare here is very good.


Preschool

Here we have the option to choose between sending our children to the public preschool which is free or to private Catholic preschool which has a fee. We opted for the private preschool and this is our child's second year with the school. I cannot talk about the public preschool as I am not familiar with it but I can say I am happy with the private one.

Here the children are divided into two classes. There are 25 children in each class and each class has one teacher and an assistant. The children can stay until noon (lunch at home) or after 1:30 pm up until 4 pm with lunch served at school. The fee is 70 euros per month plus 5 euros for each meal they have. You do not pay extra if you stay until 4 pm.

Their activities are well organized between table work, group work, snack, exercise, outdoor play, lunch, work. The environment is clean and the staff welcomes parents to talk to the teachers about their children, if necessary. They organize two recitals plus a big party for carnival every year. Again I have to say that we are happy with this school and I would recommend it highly.

No comments: