Sunday, January 25, 2009

Making Sense of the Italian Language

First of all I apologize for being absent for some days. Last week was a challenge with two young children home with the flu. I was so satisfied though that I was able to catch the entire Obama swearing in ceremony on CNN. Thanks CNN and thanks hubby and inlaws for helping out with the kids. Now on to my post....

I am amazed on how many Italian words I did not know and on how many English words are used in Italian daily conversations. Let me explain:
In this region and in this small town the word "minestra" signifies the small noodles or pasta used inside soup. The word "minestra" to me growing up in my Italian American household always meant "soup". Italians use the word "box" to mean "playpen" but it is also used to mean "garage". That could be means for a safety disaster I know. They use the word "scatola" or "cartone" to mean "box".

Italians use the word "scottex" to mean paper towels and "cotton fioc" to mean "Q tip swaps". They use also many English words with an Italian flair. For instance they will say "bisogna faxare" meaning "you need to fax it". They don't say "email" but "a mail".

When it comes to clothing they have a whole different vocabulary. A "kway" is a sort of rain coat I believe and a "polo" is a shirt with a few buttons only at neck. A "golf" is a sweater and a "pull" is a sweater too. The "pinochietto" pants is a capri pair of pants (name from famous wooden boy!). I can go on and on. It is a learning process and an adventure. I still make all sorts of mistakes and frankly I am now unsure of the proper Italian from the improper.

What have been your experiences regarding Italian??

No comments: