Thursday, October 23, 2008

Learning How Not to Waste in Italy

I have learned many things during my time living in Italy. Perhaps one of the most important things that I do pass on to my children is how not to waste. Having been rasied in the United States I often took for granted the supply of water, gas, electricity etc. Things now have changed I believe worldwide and I do not think people are wasting at least not consciously doing so. Aside from the expense of wasting, it is just wrong on so many fronts.

So now I do not take ten minute showers. I do not make too much food that I will later throw away. I do not keep the hose running outside to water flowers. I do use paper bags. I do turn off the light and open the shutters. I do recycle everything I can of the older child for the younger child! I do not throw away day old bread but heat it up the next day. I do make bags for charity and bring to the church what does not fit anymore or toys that have been outgrown. I do turn off the heat and put on another sweater. I do walk to the store instead of taking the car.

There is just not an infinite supply of everything and sometimes seeing the simple way of living of some Italians tells me I can do that too.

No comments: