Monday, October 27, 2008

What to buy when you visit Italy

My family has been visiting Italy from the United States for over forty years and before that my parents lived in Italy and now I live in Italy. So I can say we have become experts in knowing what products to buy in Italy to bring back to the U.S. Although the euro/dollar exchange rate has not been favorable, there are still must haves:

Clothing/Shoes/Jewelry
There is no doubt that if you can still find Made in Italy clothing in Italy, go for it as they just fit better!
There is no comparison. Italian shoes are the best in style, comfort, and assortment.
It is not easy to find 18 kt gold jewelry in the USA that is also stylish. You will not do wrong by buying it in Italy.

Leather Handbags,Wallets,Belts
You can still find very affordable ones at local mercato.

Coffee
We don't know why but the coffee you buy here, even if has the same brand name, just tastes better. If you buy a bag of coffee beans at a bar, beware as is very costly. You are better off getting a brand name bag at the supermarket. We like Illy.

Parmigian Cheese
Is much cheaper in Italy than in the USA. Make sure you get it vacuum packed and keep it in the fridge until ready to pack.

Big Salt (Sale Grosso)
I heard you can find this now in LA but in case you cannot, buy it in Italy (very cheap). Throw a dash of it in your boiling water when you make pasta to make it taste great!

Zafferon, Funghi Porcini (dried)
I am not a big user of these but heard friends rant and rave about buying these in Italy

Olive Oil and Wine
I have not found a suitable way to bring these back so welcome input by you guy:)

Do not even think about bringing back prosciutto, salami or anything of the sort. It does not go over very well with the customs people!

4 comments:

dreammer said...

Thanks for a great valuable info.
I love your blog and I will start to read your posts with my morning coffee.
Would you be so kind and help us with what to bring to Italy when we want to bring little something for our Italian friends.

Unknown said...

Hello dreammer. From the sounds of it you are not in Italy but somewhere maybe in Europe?? Let me know where you are as that was going to be my next post... what to buy in the USA to bring back to Italy...Keep reading as it put a smile on my face today...Lucia

Anonymous said...

Good info. I am off to Sicily, Italy over Xmas and I was wondering what to buy hence hopw I found your blog on the Internet.
Accommodation in Rome

Anonymous said...

Italy is traditional so good for consumer goods including leather, furniture and marble.

So many copies are now coming from China that is it getting real hard for the Italian companies.

Maybe stricter controls are needed?
--
Bob - Rome travel