Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Cost of Living in Italy

I will be writing a lot about the cost of living in Italy because many people who are thinking of moving to Italy want to know how expensive it is to live here. I can only talk about my experiences.


It is very difficult to say if it is more expensive or not than in the USA for many factors which I will not get into right now. I can tell you how much I spend for various things with a four person family (2 adults and 2 children), living in a small town in Tuscany.


Daycare is expensive for Italy standards in our small town but much cheaper than back home in the USA. We pay approximately 350 euros a month for 5 days a week, half days and lunch & snack included. Private preschool on the other hand is about 120 euros a month 6 days a week, half days and lunch included. Our child could stay until 4 pm with no increase in cost. A babysitter would cost about 7 euros per hour.


Doctors and medical care in general can be expensive if through the private sector. What is the difference between private and public? If you go through the public sector, you have to schedule an appointment through the USLL and most often your appointment will be in months. You have to see the doctor they advise you to see for your town and specialty. Everyone has the right to see the public doctor or dottore della mutua. These visits are free or you pay only a minimal amount. If instead you prefer to see a private doctor who takes appointments it costs about 70 euros (pediatrician). Blood tests vary. Again if you do them through the public sector they are free or minimal. If you do them privately, they can cost between 70 and 150 euros depending what exactly you are having done.



The cost of gasoline is expensive. I pay about 70 euros to fill up my tank which lasts me about 2 weeks time. I do very little driving and only around the town. The gas bill for our home is about 850 euros every two months in the winter. Food costs us around 100 euros a week. Electricity and water bills cost 150 euros and 75 euros respectively every two months.

If you have any specific question on how much something costs let me know as I would be more than happy to share any information I have.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just saw your hello on the SlowTrav board, and came to visit your blog. I'm really enjoying reading about your life in Italy, and will enjoying reading more in the future.

Unknown said...

Ciao Cindy! So glad to hear from you and happy you are enjoying my blog. I only recently found the SlowTrav board and am having fun being a part of it. Finally I found an environment where I have so much to share.Are you planning a visit to Italy? Have you been to Italy? If so let me know and I would love to give you some insider tips for holidays out here. I just enjoy simply to meet other Americans or English speakers. I do not get that opportunity often out here and sometimes I am really hungry to make some new friends back home. Where do you live?? Hope to hear from you and keep reading!!Lucia

Mia said...

Hi. I love your blog! I am hoping to spend the winter in Italy, in Siena, working on a novella. Do you know what it costs monthly for a studio apartment in Siena? It's so hard to find that kind of info in English. Or, can you recommend a site I can go to that has legitimate rentals? Thanks for your help.

Unknown said...

Hello Mia and thank you for your comment. Can you tell me where in Siena you would be looking to rent. There is a big difference between town center in Siena and outskirts of Siena. Also would you have a car? If you are able to live in one of the fabulous little towns outside of Siena, you can get a really affordable nice place. Lucia

Mia said...

Lucia! Thanks so much for your response! I wouldn't have a car. Does that rule out the fabulous little towns on the outskirts? I would be happy to live in the town center, even if it's expensive, since it's only for a few months. I would like to have very easy access to cafes, and be able to meet people. I think a tiny little place in the town center would suit me. Or in the outskirts if there was still access to places and folks. What do you think? Mia.

Unknown said...

Mia,
I don't think I could recommend any one website. Try www.casa.it or try doing some key word searches. A good idea also is to join some forums of expats who live in or near Siena. I think living in the city center would be not only more convenient but probably more interesting for your purposes. Good luck!

Maria said...

I am enjoying your blog. I only discovered it last week so lots to read still but it really is very informative.

Unknown said...

Thank you Maria. Let me know if you have any specific questions and just maybe I can offer some insight. Enjoy your reading!!