Thursday, November 13, 2008

No Electricity.

If you live in Italy then you have to grow accustomed to having your electrical and water supply turned off several times a year for about 4 hours each time. This occurs either because of a problem the providers are working on or because they are doing some kind of updating on their systems. You have to learn to organize yourselves around these inconveniences and if you work outside of the home there is usually little inconvenience. However if you are like me and are home and have small children to tend to, it can get a little annoying.

I however have become a pro at dealing with these matters. I have flashlights positioned in all corners of the house for particularly dark days not to mention a dozen or so candles. If I know ahead of time (and seldom you are given notice),I make sure I have used the appliances I need. It is dreadful being stuck with wet hair because you cannot use the hairdryer for instance. I make sure my cell phone is nearby because my cordless phone will not work.

It does not help to get angry that you cannot do the things you intended to do so you just have to make the best of it. Suffice to say on this particularly dark thunderstorm Thursday, I, my husband and our toddler had a very romantic lunch by candlelight!

No comments: